Job Title: Head of Watches
Responsible for: None
Purpose of job: To contribute towards the consigning, valuing, and cataloguing of Watches in line with the department and business year-on-year growth objectives.
Internal: Managing and Executive Directors, other specialist departments (especially Interiors, Homes, and Antiques), client liaison and other business functions especially marketing and photography
External: collectors, dealers, other auction houses
Location: Based at Chiswick HQ (Barley Mow)
Our Watches department curate three specialist sales a year and contribute a significant section to our regular Interiors, Homes, and Antiques auctions.
The department has established a track record of offering the finest timepieces to the market - from the earliest verge pocket watches, right through to modern high-end wristwatches, all from the best marques in the world – but also everything in between. We have recently been recognised by Oracle Time for our ability to attract big ticket watches on a level with the major auction rooms, including Patek Philippe and Rolex pieces at £40k plus.
We have been delighted to offer items consigned singly as well as entire single owner collections and have recently held one such sale with a 100% sold rate.
Areas of Responsibility
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Strategic and business development
- Maintain an overview of market trends for the Watch market at all levels, and the implications for the business.
- Identify and maintain relationships with all client categories (collectors, dealers, other auction houses)
- Identify and grow the client base for sourcing and selling of Watches.
Consignments, valuations, cataloguing, pre- and post-sale responsibilities
- Lead on the consignment of Watches
- Respond to incoming walk-ins, written, phone and email enquiries to determine sale potential, along with other members of the department.
- Work to determine provenance, authenticity, value, condition, and marketability.
- Catalogue consignments and work on the production and layout of the online catalogue
- Liaise with the assigned photographer on the photography of Watches for marketing, press and the online catalogue.
- Work with the Art Handlers on pre-sale exhibition set-up
- Work with potential buyers to provide condition reports, and attend weekend previews, to market and sell the sale.
- With the marketing team, take the lead on developing a coordinated marketing plan to achieve budgeted sale totals.
- Participate in telephone bidding with clients during the auction, as required.
- Participate in the full after-sales analysis and implement any agreed changes.
- Ensure compliance with all internal policies and procedures and any relevant external bodies or processes.
- Participate in organisation-wide meetings, activities, and processes, and develop internal contacts, networks, and interactions as appropriate.
- Actively participate in events, valuation days, and other functions to represent Chiswick Auctions e.g., evening events to promote the sale.
- Carry out other duties as required by the Managing and Executive Directors
Qualifications, skills, and experience
- Proven knowledge of Watches gained both through study and work experience.
- Experience in the field, preferably at an auction house
- Specialist qualifications in a relevant aspect of the department would be desirable, but not essential, as experience and exposure to the market is known to be far more crucial to the success of the department.
- Proven ability to develop relationships with the major collectors, dealers, and auction houses.
- Excellent writing skills in English, and ability to combine an understanding of the material with a commercial sense of marketing and promoting value.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including first class spoken English.
- Ability to work to tight auction deadlines, balancing photography, cataloguing, sale organisation, marketing, and promotional details.
- Experience working on projects of all sizes, long- and short-term; demonstrated ability to prioritise a variety of concurrent projects.
- Ability to learn Chiswick Auctions’ systems, with excellent IT proficiency and sound knowledge of the Microsoft 365 Suite
- Superior customer service skills
- Strong follow-up skills with attention to detail
- Ability to thrive within a fast-paced team environment.
Please send your CV & Cover letter directly to Nick Greenwood firstname.lastname@example.org