A MID 18TH CENTURY ENGLISH CARVED ROCOCO FRAME OF LARGE PROPORTIONS, FORMERLY IN THE ROYAL COLLECTION, BUCKINGHAM PALACE
The rectangular central mirror plate with cavetto sight edge, the lower section centred with a boldly carved Green Man mask, flanked by scrolling foliage and leaf mouldings running to elaborately carved, pierced and applied rocaille scallopshell cartouche corners, continuous scrolling foliage and stylised acanthus leaves with entwined flower heads and c-scrolls in bold relief, graduated pierced rocaille scallopshell cartouche centres, surmounted with cresting cartouche centre and foliate corners.
carved limewood/pine, (stripped and limed)
stamped G R V/B P (twice on the reverse)
7'1" X 57" (inches) 215 x 145 cm (overall)
Private collection, Oxfordshire
Sale, Fine Furniture, Christie's Manson & Woods Ltd, London, 1959
Royal Collection, Buckingham Palace
An outstanding and important George II carved and limed mirror in the manner of such masters as Matthias Lock (1710-1765) and most notably Luke Lightfoot (1722-1789) The sculptural and idiosyncratic quality of the design is typical of Luke Lightfoot's work as a carver, and his impressive contribution to the estate of Ralph, 2nd Earl Verney at Claydon, Bucks, where he was employed not only as a mason and carver but also as a master builder, surveyor, and architect to Claydon. Most of Luke Lightfoot's efforts were expended on the extension and re-decoration of Claydon House from 1757–69. The exceptional Rococo carved woodwork of the house, some in the prevailing Chinese taste, together with the grand inlaid staircase, are major achievements and show the quality of the work that was produced under his direction. The frame has been stripped and limed. This lends to the frame having a contemporary feel, and revealing a fascinating insight and appreciation into the 18th-century craftsmen's methods and practices. The elaborate composition is centred at the base with the Green Man, a symbol of rebirth. The boldly carved rocallie scallopshell cartouches are entwined with overlapping foliage giving a rare lyrical quality to the overall scheme adding to the grandeur associated with the frame's importance, being formerly in the Royal Collection, Buckingham Palace.
Buckingham Palace, formally known as Buckingham House, is the building at the centre of today's palace. Originally a large townhouse built for the Duke of Buckingham in 1703 and acquired by King George III in 1761.
Estimated at £15,000 - £20,000