BERNARD MYERS (1925-2007)
signed with initials BM (lower right)
oil on paper, unframed
sheet: 55 x 75 cm (21 1/2 x 29 1/2 in)
This work is number 0163 from the Bernard Myers Archive
The present Hammersmith Suspension Bridge (currently closed to motor vehicles), was designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette, built by Dixon, Appleby & Thorne and opened by the Prince of Wales in June 1887. It replaced a previous suspension bridge designed by William Tierney Clark which opened in 1827, the first suspension bridge over the Thames.
Myers' became the RCA's first Professor of Industrial Design, setting up the foundation course combining industrial design with engineering in conjunction with neighbouring Imperial College in 1961. Myers' keen interest in what he taught appears again and again in his paintings, notably in his fascination with bridges.
Sold for £938
Includes Buyer's Premium