A George II sterling silver twin handled cup and cover, London 1749 by Fuller White (reg. 31st Dec 1744)
Of rounded circular form upon a moulded domed circular foot, acanthus capped double C scroll handles. The domed lid with a compressed knop finial, engraved with a crest of a lion rampant. The body with a central applied girdle below an engraved contemporaneous coat of arms in a rococo rocaille cartouche with foliate surround. Fully marked underneath and to lid bezel.
Height – 31.6 cm / 12.5 inches
Weight – 1772 grams / 56.97 ozt
The arms are for Wiltshire of St John’s, Gloucester
See Ryley, W and Dethick, H., (1820), The visitation of Middlesex began in 1663, p.7.h
Sold: Sotheby's, Billinghurst, 25 Oct 1999, Lot 101 (the cover to the cup has now been located after becoming seperated by the family)
Estimated at £2,500 - £3,500