BERNARD MYERS (1925-2007)
signed with initials BM (lower right); signed and titled (on the reverse)
oil on paper, unframed
sheet: 55 x 75 cm (21 1/2 x 29 1/2 in)
This work is number 0139 from the Bernard Myers Archive
Designed by Edward Andrews and constructed by Head Wrightson in the 1890s, the current Barnes Bridge consists of three spans of wrought iron bow string girders which carries a pair of railway tracks across the river together with a pedestrian walkway. It replaced an earlier bridge which remains adjacent immediately up-stream.
Myers' became the RCA's first Professor of Industrial Design, setting up the foundation course combining industrial design with engineering in conjunction with neighbouring Imperial College in 1961. His keen interest in what Myers taught appears again and again in his paintings, notably in his fascination with bridges.
Sold for £275
Includes Buyer's Premium