Earl of Burlington - A pair of George III sterling silver sauceboats, London 1784 by Edward Wakelin and William Taylor (reg. 25th Sep 1776)
Each of bellied form with gadrooned rim, raised on a stepped oval foot with gadrooned band. Each with a reeded loop handle. Each engraved to the side with a coat of arms with another on an escutcheon of pretence, surmounted a crest of a serpent nowed, between supporters all above the motto Cavendo Tutus. Each fully marked underneath, and with No 3 14=05 and No 6 14=1. (2)
Length – 18.8 cm / 7.4 inches
Weight – 798 grams / 25.66 ozt
The arms are for Cavendish with Compton on an escutcheon of pretence
For George Augustus Henry Cavendish, 1st Earl of Burlington (1754-1834) who married Elizabeth Compton (1760-1835), on the 27th Fen 1782.
George was the third son of William Cavendish, 4th Duke of Devonshire, KG, PC (1720-1764) and his wife Lady Charlotte Elizabeth Boyle, 6th Baroness Clifford (1731–1754), the daughter and heiress of Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington of the first creation, a famous architect and art collector. The Cavendish arms are marked with a cadecy mark of a crescent for a second son has the 4th Dukes’ second born son had died in 1781 (Lord Richard Cavendish, 1752–1781).
Elizabeth was the only daughter and heir of Charles Compton, 7th Earl of Northampton (1737-1763) and Lady Anne Somerset (d.1763), 1st daughter of Charles Noel Somerset, 4th Duke of Beaufort (1709-1756) by his wife Elizabeth Berkeley (1719-1799).
Cavendish sat as Member of Parliament for Knaresborough from 1775 to 1780, for Derby from 1780 to 1797 and for Derbyshire from 1797 to 1831. On the 10th September 1831 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Cavendish of Keighley, in the County of York, and Earl of Burlington, a revival of the title held by his maternal grandfather. In 1815, Lord Burlington bought Burlington House in Piccadilly from his nephew, the 6th Duke of Devonshire. With the architect Samuel Ware, he made a number of significant modifications to the house, including the building of Burlington Arcade along the west side. He died at Burlington House in 1834 and was buried in All Saint's church, Derby.
A twin handled tray of 1828 by Robert Garrard bearing these arms was sold, Christie’s South Kensington, 26 June 2013, Lot 618 (£5,000 incl. premium)
A bread basket of 1830 by Robert Garrard was sold Christie’s, London 24 May 2018, lot 449 (£5,000 incl. premium)
Sold for £1,000
Includes Buyer's Premium