BERNARD MYERS (1925-2007)
signed with initial M (lower left)
oil on paper, unframed
sheet: 55 x 75 cm (21 1/2 x 29 1/2 in)
The current Blackfriars Railway Bride was designed by John Wolfe-Barry and Henry Marc Brunel, built by Lucas and Aird and opened for trains in 1886. The distinctive columns in the foreground of the present view are all that remain of the supports for the old bridge built in 1864 and finally dismantled in 1985.
Myers' became the RCA's first Professor of Industrial Design, setting up the foundation course combining industrial design with engineering in conjunction with neighbouring Imperial College in 1961. Myers' keen interest in what he taught appears again and again in his paintings, notably in his recurring fascination with bridges.
Sold for £150
Includes Buyer's Premium